Destination Misery – A "Let Me Reach" Short Story

May 17
Narcissist La La Land

The brochure shows a beautiful, lush vacation resort.  Stunning, blue waters caress white-sand beaches.  The five-star hotel looks comfortable and accommodating with smiling staff ready to cater to your every whim.  You buy the ticket, pack your bags and catch a taxi to the airport.

The stewardesses greet you with warm smiles, take your bags and escort you to your seat.  At once, you are asked your choice of cocktail and offered a scrumptious snack.  Shortly after, the plane takes off and you close your eyes, imagining what life will be like when you arrive at your scenic destination.

Shortly before touching down, there is terrible turbulence.  You realize the cabin crew is nowhere to be seen.  You look through the window…the place at which you’ve arrived is nothing like what you believed.  The plane comes to a screeching halt and you walk feebly toward the exit.  You get to the door and stop, not wanting to exit the plane.  You want to go back home, but you purchased a one-way ticket.

Feeling lonely and isolated, you begin to scorn yourself.  You’ve been here many times, and each time you are fooled by false advertising; the old bait-and-switch.  You force yourself to exit the plane and go blindly into the desolate wilderness, wondering how you’ll get back home this time…

**Narcissists are very skilled at convincing us that things will be better next time, if only we’d give them another chance.  It’s the return to “Narcissist La La Land”, which is exactly where you’ll find yourself if you let the Narcissist back into your life.  Find out how your life could change by going No Contact.  Download your free questionnaire below!

How would going No Contact Change Your Life?

Woman_pondering_and_walking

Get your very own No Contact Questionnaire and see how your life could be different after going No Contact.

Tammy December 30, 2016

Before I said yes to my husband, I informed him I had herpes simplex 2, he pondered on it for 2weeks and then he said he still wanted to get married. After a few months into the marriage he became very aggressive and angry towards me…when I confronted him about his anger , he said he thought it was out of him. So I walkedon eggshells for months until one day he threatened to harm me. When I discussed leaving him he said this marriage is for better or for worse…he said accepted herpes. So how are you going to bail out . I said you threatened my life…you said your temper was your past… therefore he feels I should accept his behavior since he accepted herpes? How do I handle this response???

[…] Destination Misery […]

This is an excellent analogy and simply stated but this is exactly what happened to me, too. Good post! 🙂

kimberlyharding May 22, 2014

so very true. Thank you for this reminder, as I was struggling today to step in and “try again” or hold my own ground.

Kim Saeed May 22, 2014

Thank you for sharing, Kimberly! You can do this! <3

Tammy December 30, 2016

It has been a month for me not having contact…the thought of contact gives me anxiety! Thank you so much Kim for no contact questionnaire!

Chey Being May 22, 2014

I’ve seen a few posts lately regarding this topic. I shy away from them because I am afraid I am married to a narcissist. I had never given it any thought until someone recently called him that. I can’t seem to believe it’s true, probably because my husband tells me everything is my fault. I could really relate to your post, although I more often feel like I’ve been transported to Mars because nothing makes sense to me! Beautiful and powerful imagery.

Kim Saeed May 22, 2014

Chey, thank you for stopping by and for sharing. Whether or not your husband is a Narcissist doesn’t really matter, but how he makes you feel does. Just listen to your heart. You will eventually find your way back home 🙂

anupturnedsoul May 22, 2014

Reblogged this on An Upturned Soul and commented:
A stunning post about Narcissists and their ways, but also a philosophical insight into our own ways.

Our hopes are often beautiful dreams which inspire us and get us through tough times… and sometimes they get us into those tough times.

Awareness is a part of our personal power, awareness of others and of ourselves, so we can enjoy our dreams, take a holiday to the destination they offer us, without losing ourselves and finding that the beautiful dream is actually an advert for a nightmare.

Thank you for sharing, Kim, your blog is a wonderful oasis!

betternotbroken May 22, 2014

Been there. A five star resort on my honeymoon that I paid for – in more ways than one. Another person told me once that hope is your enemy when it comes to living with a narcissist. Thanks again for your help on the healing journey out of hell.

Kim Saeed May 22, 2014

BNB,

Thank you for sharing that. It’s true, hope CAN be our worst enemy, but only if we stay. Alternately, hope can also be our savior, such as when our hope leads us to leave our abuser in search of healing and happiness. You can have all of that, just keep putting one foot in front of the other <3

Steve Lakey May 18, 2014

This is a striking analogy, Kim. I think we generally know the destination when we buy the ticket. But we often fool ourselves that we’re heading somewhere much nicer. Sometimes it’s better to cut your losses and try for a refund.

Jennifer S May 18, 2014

Exactly. What a deeply powerful analogy.

cuckquean kitten May 17, 2014

It didnt occur to me that i was with a narcissist. With him 14 years, and 7 of them (beginning) were pretty decent. Of course, i gave him everything he needed, and why would he be ugly towards me? the moment he stopped getting the same treatment, my HELL began.
While i have been a kinky person all my life, i didnt equate with cuckquean until 5 years ago. And i think that i became that way, as a coping mechanism. If only i had been wise enough before all this HELL began.
Thank you for the analogy. Very accurate!

happinessweekly May 17, 2014

Kim this is outstanding! What a fantastic way of describing the feelings we go through after being duped by a narcissist! Everyone should see this. I’ll share it later down the line. 🙂 Well done!!

armyofangels2013 May 17, 2014

It took several times of agreeing to “try again”, before I realized that it was to be more of the same-only each time, I was the only one working harder to make things better-work harder, cook better, clean better, give him attention at every snap of the fingers…goodness…