Vanilla Sky – Unreality with the Narcissist

Jul 19
illusion of the narcissist

You’ve discovered that your relationship with the Narcissist was a reality warp.

No matter how many times you replay history in your mind, you can’t make sense of it or come to grips with what you now know was an illusion.

Hyperreality:  the inability of consciousness to distinguish reality from a simulation of reality; a condition in which what is real and what is fiction are seamlessly blended together so that there is no clear distinction between where one ends and the other begins.   Individuals may find themselves for different reasons, more in tune or involved with the hyperreal world and less with the physical real world.

This hyperreal world is the one we live in with the Narcissist.  Nothing can be taken at face value.  We take on the Narcissist’s version of reality and apply it as our own.  Like Tom Cruise’s character in Vanilla Sky, we exist in a continuous lucid dream state, hoping against all hope that the false reality is real, in spite of the frequent implications otherwise.

Carrie Reimer, author of the blog Lady With a Truck, writes about this reality warp with keen insight in her article, Sick Narcissistic S.O.B.’s.  Although she’d begun to pick up on reality towards the end of her abusive relationship, her article demonstrates how easy it is to assume the Narcissist’s attempts at being nice are sincere; although his “being a gentleman” can point dangerously to the opposite.

Reality Warp:  Imagine yourself in the setting she describes, entering the home of the Narcissist where he has your favorite drink ready for you.  He’s dressed nicely and has cleaned his home.  He invites you to take a shower and you accept.  As you cross his bedroom towards the shower, you notice a robe on the bed.  You believe he laid it out for you.  You take your shower, exit and put on the robe, go back to the kitchen and take a sip from your drink.  The Narcissist is playing the guitar and you think you’re being romanced.

Reality:  All of the provisions you’ve just taken part in were actually meant for another lover.  She may have left moments before you arrived, or perhaps is expected to arrive soon.

To the Narcissist, all women are one in the same person, in spite of how unique they claim we are in the beginning of the relationship.  (It’s important to remember that you ARE unique, only that the Narc is unable to see you that way).

But…

The irony of hyperreality with the Narcissist is that our version of reality seems so real to us because we love and we want to believe.  And, to our detriment, the Narcissist produces symbols which represent things that do not actually exist.  These inauthentic symbols often manifest in the form of:

Hoovering – Creating the false illusion that he/she is sorry for their cruelty.  Reality – They don’t love you; they only need you for supply and domination.

Dangling Carrots – Taking you to look at cars and shopping for homes or engagement rings.  Reality – They have no intention of following through on these things.  It’s simply a trick to keep you hopeful and hooked.

Torn Between Two Lovers – During one of his Silent Treatments, you implemented No Contact, and he put on a show of having been forced into the arms of another lover.  Reality – He’s been grooming new supply for some time now and your attempt at No Contact was the perfect opportunity for him to begin triangulating.

Escape From Plato’s Cave

One of the earliest indications of the awareness of hyperreality can be found in Plato’s Republic, specifically, in the Allegory of the Cave.   Socrates describes a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall, and begin to ascribe meanings to these shadows. According to Socrates, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality.

And thus is life with the Narcissist.  The whole relationship is based on shadows.  He is the lie, from hello to goodbye…

Just as Plato’s prisoner is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall are not constitutive of reality at all, Tom Cruise’s character decides to wake up and conquer his fears by leaping from a rooftop.

Your awakening needn’t be so dramatic.  All you need to do is go No Contact in order to stop living in shadows and illusions.

I wanna wake up! Tech support! It’s a nightmare! Tech support! Tech support!” ~ David, Cruise’s character in Vanilla Sky

Forget everything you know about life, and just open your eyes…

This is a revolution of the mind

When did the dream become a nightmare?

Open your eyes.

Download the free questionnaire below and find out how going No Contact could change your life!

How would going No Contact Change Your Life?

Woman_pondering_and_walking

Get your very own No Contact Questionnaire and see how your life could be different after going No Contact.

Ven Baxter July 23, 2016

I opened this article in a new tab on the day that you posted it and I tried to read it. After Two paragraphs, I had to stop. My brain wasn’t comprehending it, wasn’t able to digest it.

I was too deep in hyperreality myself, too busy tracing the seamless seam separating fact from fiction. Too much energy was tied up in holding the line, sticking to boundaries, not letting the seam melt back into seamlessness.

In the parlance of Dianetics, I didn’t have enough “attention units” free to give to reading on the subject. But today, with the seam clearly visible, the line secure, the boundaries in place, and the “attention units” freed (and the toddler napping), I finally got to read it from start to finish.

Brilliant article, Kim! Now I’ll go read the one that inspired it. And maybe watch Vanilla Sky again soon. 🙂

[…] hoovering move that is almost always the death of No Contact.  Such tactics involve a plethora of reality-bending schemes, such as the three examples listed […]

[…] Vanilla Sky – Unreality with the Narcissist […]

Kev July 26, 2014

Vanilla Sky is one of my favourite movies, Kim. 🙂

Kim Saeed July 26, 2014

Mine, too, Kev 🙂

Hunt FOR Truth July 26, 2014

TY Kim – as always, I humbly and wholly appreciate the thoroughness of your work and I do truly appreciate as best I can what recovery may require as I read here and blogs by many that I follow – that teach us about the haunting sufferings. This truly is a blessing for me in my mission.
Peace, love and joy for you I pray;
~ Eric

Vanilla Sky – Unreality with the Narcissist | My Blog July 25, 2014

[…] Vanilla Sky – Unreality with the Narcissist. […]

Holistic Wayfarer July 22, 2014

Huh. Hoovering.
Informative.

Maria July 20, 2014

Narcissists actually have the ability to fully believe the warped reality they are simulating (which is unimaginable to normal people). That’s why they come off as so damn genuine.. in their mind, at that very moment, they are..

aveline07 July 19, 2014

Yes yes yes yes yes…no contact is so important in order to see things with clarity and begin to separate, live one’s own life. I can see this as I look back at my own writing and healing process even in just a few short months…that shift that has happened, and continues to happen in spades. Thanks for continuing to push the ‘no contact’ Kim with your readers, it is so important. No amount of therapy or other self-care is as important as the ‘no contact’.

Constance July 19, 2014

Reblogged this on thephoenixagain and commented:
I remember when I realized it was all a lie. The whole relationshit from start to finish was one big act on his part. It was the only thing that finally made sense in all the craziness. So glad to be out of that living nightmare.

Nikita July 19, 2014

It’s amazing how seamlessly the narcs blend reality and their pretend self. It’s what keeps us running in circles, trying to figure out what’s going on. They are calculating and very aware of what they do – unlike us, their victims!!

Kim Saeed July 19, 2014

Indeed, Nikita! Thank goodness I found my way out of the cave <3

Dree July 19, 2014

Reblogged this on Raised In The Rain and commented:
This post is very poignant…

Kim Saeed August 9, 2014

lyn July 19, 2014

Ahh, yes, the dangling carrots! Cant even count how many houses we looked at! (although it involved me and my daughter moving an hour away from her Dad, school and grandparents and my job). Funny though, because he never once kept followed thorough on any action for either me or himself!

Carrie Reimer July 19, 2014

Thank you for the plug Kim 🙂 Your article complimented and clarified mine perfectly.
Hugs

Kim Saeed July 19, 2014

🙂 And thank you! Your article gave me some food for thought as I’ve been tossing this article around for several days <3

I find your posts insightful, honest, helpful, true, and stated in a positive, supportive way. Very helpful stuff.

Kim Saeed July 19, 2014

Why thank you 🙂

Tothineownselfbetrue July 19, 2014

This website is the best – I love the articles and it helps me every time I start to doubt myself!!! Thank you!!

Kim Saeed July 19, 2014

Thank you for sharing that! It means I’m helping 🙂

Anonymous August 9, 2015

Thank you so much for education on this epidemic. So grateful for your passion. The articles have kept me from having any regrets or second guessing myself.

Kim Saeed September 21, 2015

Anon, thank you for letting me know that my articles have helped you. I sincerely hope I can continue to write healing and motivational articles that will change peoples’ lives <3

Princess August 9, 2015

I feel the same way too. I started to doubt myself after almost 18 months of NC. Then I opened FB and saw this article. It quickly put me back on the right path. Thanks Kim.

Kim Saeed August 9, 2015

Thank you, Princess. I’m so glad to know my article helped you stay the course <3